Military Spouse Benefits For School

Military Spouse Benefits For School

If you are, and you’re curious about the educational perks for military spouses, you’ve come to the perfect place. The grants, scholarships, and programs described here can help you pay for a college degree or a vocational training certificate. 

Whether you’re in the coast guard, navy-marine corps, or the army, military spouse benefits for schooling are provided by the U.S. government. Explore the sections below to learn about the types of educational support available to you.

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Supplemental (CGMA) Education Grants 

Those who get assistance through this program may be eligible for other CGMA Education Programs. Grants from the SEG are limited to $500 per CGMA client per calendar year. All SEG awards will be credited to the current calendar year regardless of when costs were incurred.

Grants of up to $500 may be awarded to each CGMA client on behalf of the students in a family where there are two CGMA clients. Furthermore, an individual may get numerous grants at different times throughout the calendar year, with the total amount of these awards not exceeding $500 per individual per calendar year.

Criteria For Eligibility 

  • Applicant must be enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree program at a college or university.
  • Pursuing a multi-course Vocational and Technical Training (VoTech) program that has been approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Education that is meant to prepare the student for a career field.
  • Interested in obtaining a General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
  • Taking a correspondence course as part of a college or university degree program, or a VoTech certificate program

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) Education Assistance Program 

The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) Education Assistance Program provides spouses of active-duty and retired service members with interest-free loans and grants ranging from $500 to $3,000 per academic year for undergraduate studies at an authorized two- or four-year institution.

Criteria For Eligibility 

  • You must be a first-year student.
  • Must be enrolled in a university, a four-year college, a two-year college, or a vocational-technical institution.
  • CheckmarkMust is under the age of 23 years.
  • Must be a full-time student

Army Emergency Relief Spouse (AER) Spouse Education Assistance Program

The Army Emergency Relief Spouse Education Assistance Program’s Mrs. Patty Shinseki Spouse Scholarship Program is a need-based scholarship program that aids Army spouses in obtaining their first undergraduate degree.

If students meet the qualifying standards, they may receive financial aid for up to four academic years of full-time school or eight academic years of part-time study. The value of the award varies from year to year depending on the following factors:

  • The total number of applicants
  • The total scholarship budget has been authorized.
  • Expected Family Contribution of the Applicant (per Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
  • The average cost of attending a university or college in the United States (per College Board)

Criteria For Eligibility 

  • The student must be a dependent Spouse enrolled in DEERS as the Soldier’s Spouse (Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System).
  • The student must be pursuing their first undergraduate degree as a full-time or part-time student at an accredited post-secondary or vocational institution listed in the Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions ( maintained by the U.S. Department of Education.
  • On a 4.0 scale, the student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
  • The student cannot be on active duty, in the reserve component, or a retiree from the Army, National Guard, Reserves, or any other military branch.

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)

My Career Advancement Account is a program that was created to provide eligible military spouses who are pursuing portable jobs with financial aid. The financial aid program offers up to $4000 in financial aid over two years.

Criteria For Eligibility 

  • Active military spouses in pay grades E-1 through E-5, W-1 through W-2, and O-1 through 0-2 may be eligible.
  • You must also have completed high school and be on military orders under title 10.
  • You’re married to someone who serves in the National Guard.
  • Military spouse considering a vocation that requires licensure, certification, or an associate’s degree.

Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance

Dependent Educational Assistance (DEA) is a V.A. benefit that can be applied for by either dependent spouses or children. It allows qualifying military spouses to pursue higher education or training. The program provides a variety of perks, including a stipend for lodging, books, supplies, and tuition support.

Criteria For Eligibility 

  • After September 10, 2001, the military member died in the course of duty.
  • The service member is either lost in combat or has been captured by a hostile force while on duty.
  • A foreign authority or power detained (held) the military member while he or she was performing their duties, or
  • The service member is in the hospital or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and complete disability and is expected to be discharged. A service-connected permanent and total handicap does not go away as a result of your service.

Education is always a good endeavor, especially when military spouse benefits for school are available. Find out more ways you as a military spouse can get military spouse benefits for the school, home life, and more at PAGuard today. 

Leona Rankin
Founder Leona has worked for years as a Corporate Security Manager until she decided to form the company. She deemed all information regarding security should be regarded as a necessity, especially nowadays where threat may be imminent everywhere, whether in the physical, or the digital world.